Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'm the Next "Food Network" Star


Yes, I am the next "Food Network" star. It started yesterday while Little John was napping. Joseph was awake (this is a photo of him when he was 1 day old. I couldn't resist showing him this way), it was a snowy, rainy, grey afternoon. We had been inside all day, since neither boy was feeling well. I had cabin fever and was hungry and wanted to fix a tasty dinner.



I had all the ingredients for my mom's homemade potato soup recipe, so I carried Joey in his little bouncy seat into the kitchen and started cutting up the bacon. Unaware of what I was doing, I started talking to Joey, explaining everything I was doing. I described the bacon, how I was chopping it, with what kind of knife. I described and showed him how to peel and chop an onion. I let him smell the onion and the look on his face was priceless. I showed him how to peel and dice the potatoes and put a cube into his chubby little hand (for a minute, before it headed toward his smiling mouth). I told him about the broth and boiling the potatoes in it instead of in water and how tasty they would be. I talked about the benefits of using half-n-half instead of the heavy cream the recipe called for. I became Rachel Ray (without, hopefully, being obnoxious and mouthy). I was the Barefoot Contessa (hopefully a bit smaller in size). I was Giada (with a more-proportionate head-body ratio. Her head is huge). I was Sandra Lee (not as sickeningly sweet and perfect. Wanted one of her cocktails, though). I was Tyler's Ultimate (shorter & didn't slur my words). I was Jamie Oliver minus the irritating lisp & I don't substitute "f" for "th" as in "I fink it'th a bit thalty."

I strive to be Alton Brown (who doesn't??). He's smart, logical, interesting, funny, and has great recipes. Next time I enter the kitchen, I'll wear a button-down shirt, levis, Dr. Martens (I actually still have my Doc Martens I bought on Grafton St. in Dublin, back in 1989), and horn-rimmed glasses. Maybe I'll teach Joey how to make corned beef & cabbage & mashed potatoes. Or pigs feet. Something authentic and old-fashioned and interesting. Maybe even worth eating???


3 comments:

  1. Cute post. I totally know all of those Food Network stars and agree with your commentary. Also, I like your angle for your future food show. Mmmmm...pig feet. Bound to be a big hit. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never noticed that about Giada's head, but I think you're right, as I picture her in my mind!

    Your post made me smile, and it reminded me of a week about ten years ago (before I had a kid of my own) when I took care of my new-born nephew for a week because my sister'd had a really hard time of giving birth, etc. I had no idea what to do with a few-day-old baby, so I started reading him Macleans magazine - he and I learned together about the Mujahadeen rebels of Afghanistan...a fact which became important a year later when I met a famous tv news anchor on an airplane and we had a conversation about those same rebels!

    So you never know how verbalizing your potato-soup-making will come in handy some day...maybe when you're meeting Alton Brown at your first Food Network episode!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete