Thursday, February 11, 2010

Watching Make-Believe Grow

Tonight John & Joseph and I were reading "Goodnight Moon." John knows the book by heart. We've been reading it together for over 2 years. One of his favorite toys in the room is the dollhouse. He points it out each time we read it.

Tonight was different, though. After reading the story, John opened the book to the last page of the great green room. It was dark in the room and the lights in the dollhouse were on. He said, "I want to go in there." "In the dollhouse?" I asked. "Yeah," he whispered. "Okay," I said, "Close your eyes and jump in." He looked at me quizzically. He wasn't really sure Mommy knew what she was talking about. I said, "You can go anywhere you want John. You close your eyes and pretend. Jump into the house and what do you see?" He closed his eyes for a moment then smiled. He then said, "I want to go into the big room...right there." He pointed to the big round rug in front of the fireplace. Again I told him to close his eyes and jump in. He did and I did. A moment later John opened his eyes. We both smiled.

3 comments:

  1. That is the best lesson- you can go anywhere you want, just close your eyes and pretend. I'm really enjoying your blog! My girls are 2 and 5, but you're bringing me back to when my oldest was 3 and my youngest was a new baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. We haven't made the imagination leap yet. My kids always look for the mouse in Goodnight Moon and the giraffe toy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Elizabeth -
    First, thanks for signing up to follow my blog - I'm delighted you're reading it and am equally thrilled to find YOUR blog. I look forward to delving into it and getting to know you!

    You commented on my blog about how I taught my son how to sleep, using the combination of Weissbluth and Hogg. Yes, it worked really, really well for us - it meant that he was never left un-comforted (which I felt great about) and he learned (to this day - almost 6 years old) to fall asleep on his own. It took seven hard, tiring nights and we were done. Good luck trying this with Joseph - I hope it works as well for you!

    We have also loved Goodnight Moon - I loved the story you told about it. THanks for sharing it!!

    Blessings,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete