Sunday, June 13, 2010

Two Years Ago Today

I was sitting on my sister's back porch in Portland, OR, with my Auntie Joan, my sister Colleen, 4-year-old Molly, and my baby John. He was just over 13 months when we drove to Portland. It was hot and sunny and we were playing outside. I was holding John on my lap, watching Joan and Molly gather all of Molly's baby dolls. Joan held up a doll to John and said, "Look at the little baby, John."

John looked at the dolly, looked at me, smiled, and said, "Baby".

HIS FIRST WORD!! MY BABY JOHN'S FIRST REAL WORD!!!

I will never forget that afternoon and his sweet smiling, proud face. He knew he did something pretty amazing.

And now, as John gives "the love" to his own little Baby Joey, who is exactly two-and-a-half years younger than he is, he says "baby" so sweetly, so casually, as if he's been saying it all of his life. And, really, he has.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely memory! I bet it's hard to believe how much more vocabulary has amassed in the two years since that first word!!
    I'm always blown away by stuff that my son says - who knew they have it in them??!!!

    BLessings,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete