Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Under the Door

In our little house, the laundry room and computer are in the basement. I don't like to bring John downstairs - it is cold, messy, full of lead paint and asbestos. When my husband was home this morning, I "snuck" downstairs to start a load of laundry. John notices everything. I heard his lamb cry and pictured him pointing to the closed basement door. Sure enough, as I began to go up the stairs, I could see him, his big blue eyes and his nose, on the kitchen floor right in front of our dog's food and water dishes. He was peeking under the door, trying to see me. His pudgy feet were in William's food, but he didn't care. He needed to see mommy. I paused on the steps, looking right into John's eyes. They widened and he waited for my next move. I gave him a big smile, said "I see you..." and he started to laugh-cry. I raced upstairs for my big hug and his cry that meant "why did you leave me?" It is so nice to be needed every single minute of every single day and night.

No comments:

Post a Comment